Director of Development
GREATER AKRON MUSICAL ASSOCIATION
Job Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Executive Director
Staus: Full Time, Exempt
Overview: The Mission of the Greater Akron Musical Association (GAMA) is to enhance the quality of life of our community through education and musical excellence.
Founded in 1952, GAMA realizes its mission by operating the Akron Symphony Orchestra (ASO), Akron Youth Symphony, Akron Youth Philharmonic, Akron Symphony Chorus, Akron Gospel Chorus, and presenting numerous special outreach and educational programs, including Concerts for Kids and Gospel Meets Symphony. It is the only professional ensemble of its nature in the greater Akron area, employing over 80 musicians, with a professional staff of five full time and five part time employees.
Summary: The Akron Symphony Orchestra Director of Development plans and executes a comprehensive resource development and stewardship program for GAMA. The Director of Development works in close collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Trustees and is the primary staff liaison with the Board Development Committee. The Director of Development coordinates with GAMA staff to ensure that development plans and benefits are integrated with marketing and programming plans to accomplish the strategic goals of the organization.
- Work with Board of Directors and Volunteers to develop and maintain internal and external contacts to optimize fund-raising efforts; represent GAMA at other civic and cultural events in the community; represent GAMA by speaking at public events as requested.
- Research and prepare grant applications; ensure compliance with grant timelines, terms and conditions; maintain records and materials to support each application; prepare grant reports; and maintain ongoing relationship with grant makers.
- Assist the Executive Director in establishing appropriate annual goals and strategies for the Annual Campaign and all other fund-raising activities in support of GAMA’s mission
- Develop budgets for each event and campaign; monitor the progress of each, and adjust plans when necessary.
- Work with the Executive Director and Development Committee to evaluate effectiveness of each campaign.
- Oversee the development and production of all materials used to support GAMA’s development efforts, campaigns and special events, in coordination with GAMA’s overall brand.
- Provide reports and tools to allow the Development Committee and others to actively participate in and track progress of all campaigns in relation to goals.
- Hire, train, manage, and evaluate the performance of development staff, including interns and volunteers.Plan, manage, and implement all phases of the General Operating Support/Annual Campaign; oversee the solicitation and acknowledgment process, maintenance of records, and establishment and disclosure within IRS guidelines of donor benefits; monitor progress and make adjustments as needed.
- The Annual Campaign includes, but is not limited to:
o Individual giving
o Corporate and institutional partnerships
o Government, foundation and private-sector grants
o Special fundraising events
o In-kind support
- Work with the Executive Director and Board of Trustees to ensure a year-round cultivation program to develop new relationships and funding opportunities.
- Coordinate and manage flexible, but consistent benefit fulfillment to individual, corporate and institutional donors.
- Develop an ongoing planned giving program for the GAMA Foundation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to translate artistic vision and goals to relevant appeals;
- Experience with all areas of fundraising including grant writing, individual & major gift solicitation, corporate sponsorship, planned giving and special events;
- Successful fundraising track record including guiding and motivating Board Members and other investors to engage in fundraising for their institution;
- Proficiency in the use of computers for all types of communication as well as data base management;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to multi-task and execute plans effectively in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong understanding of current best practices in fundraising and philanthropy;
- Bachelor’s degree in philanthropy, marketing, communications, public relations, arts administration, or a related field;
- Knowledge of orchestral and classical music helpful;
- Some evenings and weekends required.
This is a full-time employment position. Compensation and benefits are competitive with similar sized organizations and commensurate with experience and qualifications. This job scope is not intended to imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the individual in this position. Other job-related duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Please email your résumé and letter of interest to the Executive Director at email@example.com. The committee will begin to interview well-qualified candidates on or about July 7, 2017. The Akron Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.