Akron Symphony Orchestra announces 2018-19 season
The Akron Symphony Orchestra is proud to announce a 2018-19 concert season that is filled with a repertoire of all-time favorites and a few surprises.
The schedule abounds with well-known blockbusters that invite the Orchestra to shine – from Sheherazade to The Ride of the Valkyries – while the unexpected will keep everyone on their toes – including music by a number of film composers and an undersea exploration by composer Stella Sung.
Benjamin Zander returns to conduct the potent Tchaikovsky Fourth Symphony in his usual electrifying style. And the Orchestra will mark the 50th Anniversary of the first moon landing with space-related music, including Strauss’ Also sprach Zarathustra.
The season will culminate with a concert performance of West Side Story, Leonard Bernstein’s groundbreaking masterpiece.
Highlights of the Classic Series include:
- Rimsky-Korsakov’s seductive tale of adventure on the high seas, Sheherazade, on September 29
- Wagner’s epic The Ride of the Valkyries, with signature choruses of Verdi, on November 16
- Tchaikovsky’s supercharged Symphony No. 4, with guest conductor Benjamin Zander, on January 19
- Debussy’s masterpiece of Impressionism, La Mer, on February 9
- Strauss’ philosophical Also sprach Zarathustra and John Williams’ iconic Close Encounters of the Third Kind on March 16
- Beethoven’s heroic Symphony No. 3, Eroica, with the Akron Symphony Chorus, on April 6
- Bernstein’s beloved, genre-busting Broadway hit, West Side Story (Symphony concert version), on May 4
In addition to the Classic Series, the Akron Symphony also presents the ever-popular Home for the Holidays concert in December, Gospel Meets Symphony in February, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban™ In Concert in March.
All concerts take place at E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall, located on the campus of The University of Akron.
The best way to make sure to not miss a note is to become a season subscriber. Patrons who subscribe enjoy steep discounts on a full season of concerts, guaranteed seats, a 10 percent discount on additional single ticket purchases, and a flexible ticket exchange program.
Subscription packages start as low as $140. To subscribe, call the Akron Symphony Box Office at 330.535.8131 or visit our Classic Series Subscription page.
(Artwork courtesy of Jorge Garza at The Art Fussion.)