Ways to Support the Akron Symphony
Why Give to the Greater Akron Musical Association
For over 60 years, the Akron Symphony Orchestra, Chorus, and Youth Symphony have shared the excitement of music and added to the cultural vitality that makes this community a special place.
Why Give to the Greater Akron Musical Association Details
The Akron Symphony is a community supported orchestra and the commitment of people like you is essential for success. Our business model, like that of all orchestras around the world, requires the support of citizens in our community to invest in the future of music performance and music education through tax-deductible donations. Your gifts allow us to fulfill our mission to enhance the quality of life of our community through education and musical excellence by producing the Akron Symphony Orchestra, Akron Symphony Chorus, Akron Youth Symphony, Akron Youth Philharmonic, Gospel Meets Symphony, Concerts for kids, presenting scholarships for emerging talent and providing outreach and education programs that reach over 70,000 people each year.
Since 1951, the Akron Symphony has played a leading role in the cultural enrichment of our community. Financial gifts from you are key to the orchestra's ongoing success. Each season, we rely on our donors to provide 70% of the resources needed to support the cost of concerts and programs.
Your Contributions Help Us:
- Present more than 45 concerts each year, including Classic Series concerts featuring world-renowned guest soloists, the exciting Pops Series, exhilarating community celebrations like Gospel Meets Symphony, and our free outdoor summer concerts.
- Encourage the love of music in over 10,000 local children annually through our Concerts for Kids performances, the Akron Youth Symphony and the Akron Youth Philharmonic.
- Present live symphonic music to over 150,000 people each year.
- Allow us to continue creating music that is accessible and inspirational through innovative programming.
- Continue our strong commitment to education and outreach programs.
- Keep the Akron Symphony financially sound and artistically excellent.
For more information about how you can start contributing to the Greater Akron Musical Association and the Akron Symphony, contact Director of Advancement Peter Grossetti at 330-535-8131.
Donations are also accepted over the phone, in person or by mail at the Akron Symphony administrative office.
Contributions to the Annual Fund provide ongoing support to the Akron Symphony and enable us to continue operating year after year. Gifts at every level are appreciated.
Annual Fund Details
As a not-for-profit IRS Section 501(c)(3) organization, ASO/GAMA is committed to providing the highest quality experience at a reasonable rate. Because ticket revenue does not cover all our operating costs, Akron Symphony Orchestra depends on unrestricted Annual Fund contributions to help close the gap between the income generated by ticket sales and the true cost of performing our concerts and presenting a wide array of education outreach programs.
There are three convenient ways to make your Annual Fund donation:
- Online … click here to make your Annual Fund donation through our secure website;
- Phone … call our Advancement Office at 330.535.8131
- Mail … click on the Annual Fund donation form button to print a form to mail back to us.
Contributing to the Annual Fund enables you to provide ongoing support to the Greater Akron Musical Association and the Akron Symphony Orchestra year after year. Gifts at every level are appreciated.
- Donors that give $150 or more receive recognition in our My Symphony magazine and program guide.
- Donors that give $1,200 or more receive invitations to post-concert patron receptions.
- Sponsorship benefits begin at the $2,500 level.
If you have questions about your giving options, contact Director of Advancement Peter Grossetti at 330.535.8131.
Red Chair Sponsorship
One of our signature giving programs designed to provide full funding for each of our non-principal musicians for one year and a long-term sustainable source of revenue for our orchestra.
Red Chair Sponsorship Details
The Akron Symphony is a community supported orchestra, and the commitment of people like you is essential for its success. Our business model, like that of all orchestras around the world, requires the support of people willing to invest in the future of music performance and music education.
The Red Chair Society is one of our signature giving programs. It’s designed to provide full funding for each of our non-principal musicians for one year and a long-term sustainable source of funding for our orchestra. This rewarding program provides a positive experience for both our donors and musicians.
Red Chair sponsors have the opportunity to choose a specific musician (based upon availability), receive special program recognition, and invitation to special Red Chair Society receptions where they can meet and get to know their sponsored musician and other Red Chair Society members.
All gifts of $5,000+ to the Akron Symphony annual fund qualify to become members of the Red Chair Society. Gifts of all size enable us to fulfill our mission to enhance the quality of life of our community through education and musical excellence by producing and presenting the Akron Symphony Orchestra, Akron Symphony Chorus, Akron Youth Symphony, Gospel Meets Symphony, Concerts for Kids, Akron Youth Philharmonic, scholarships for talented, young musicians, and outreach and education programs that reach over 70,000 people each year.
To learn more about how you can sponsor a Red Chair, or to discuss additional giving options, contact Director of Advancement Peter Grossetti at 330-535-8131.
Thank you to our current Red Chair Sponsors
The Mary S. and David C. Corbin Foundation
Dr. Michael D'Amico and Dr. Patricia Mullen
Fred & Bonnie Damerow
Richard and Renee Anthony Dee
The Mary and Dr. George L. Demetros Charitable Trust
In memory of Joseph Garfinkel
J. Ralph and Susan Jeppsen Gillman
DuWayne & Dottie Hansen
Mary Beth Kluge
Margaret Clark Morgan Foundation
In memory of Josephine Nelson
Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Newman
Mike & Julia Pasternak
Charles & Therese Peter
Guy & Renee Pipitone
Ernie & Mary Kay Pouttu
Cynthia Reynolds, PhD
Charles E. and Mable M. Ritchie Memorial Foundation
Arthur and Jean Schooley
Maestro Christopher Wilkins
Richard and Dianne Wright
In 1995, the Greater Akron Musical Association (GAMA) established the Heritage Society to honor those who have committed deferred gifts to ensure the future of the Akron Symphony Orchestra.
Heritage Society Details
In 1995, the Greater Akron Musical Association established the Heritage Society to honor individuals who have committed deferred gifts to ensure the future of the Akron Symphony Orchestra. On behalf of generations to come, the Akron Symphony thanks these generous Heritage Society members.
- Margaret E. Andreeff
- Mrs. Harold Baker*
- Thomas* and Patricia Blazey
- Mr.* and Mrs. Joseph Cairnes*
- Dr. Clarence T. Gilham*
- Mabel L. and Dr. Lawrence A. Graham*
- Richard H. Harris III
- Michael T. Hayes
- Mr. and Mrs. Damien Highfield
- Jessica & Stanislav Korzhiletskiy
- James P. and Maureen C. Kovach
- Jerry and Maggie Lippman*
- Mary Ellen* and Gerald McFadden
- Ed and Lynn Metzger
- Jo Ann Oelschlager
- Mr. and Mrs. W. Stuver Parry
- Roger and Judith A. Read
For more information about the Heritage Society and our planned giving programs, contact Director of Advancement Peter Grossetti at 330-535-8131.
Memorials & Tributes
GAMA accepts gifts in memory of individuals and in honor of a special person, event or occasion.
Memorials & Tributes Details
GAMA accepts gifts in memory of individuals and in honor of a special person or event.
When making your gift, please indicate in whose memory you wish to leave a gift or who you wish to honor. We will send notification of your gift to the family or honoree (gift amount will not be disclosed). Their name will appear in our concert program book for one year when a donation of $25.00 or more is made.
These people have been honored in the last 12 months with contributions made in their names to the Akron Symphony Tribute Fund.
- None to currently report
The Greater Akron Musical Association honors the memory of these individuals who passed away during the last year. The outstanding participation, service and support they provided have enhanced the life of our organization, and we are grateful to them for their contributions.
- Olive Cairns
- James Hartenstein
- Mable B. Justice
- Nina Liddle
- Duane Marsh
- Patricia L. Maximovich
- Katherine Reilly
- Kenneth F. Swanson, M.D.
- Harvey Winer
- Justin Winebrenner
Planned Giving presents opportunities to build financial strength of the orchestra while enhancing one’s own financial position. We offer several different giving options to make the contributing work for you.
Planned Giving Details
Planned giving presents opportunities to build financial strength of the orchestra while enhancing one’s own financial position. We offer several different giving options to make the contributing work for you. Many of these options provide you or your estate with significant tax benefits and help meet other financial planning needs, while providing a very generous ultimate gift to the Akron Symphony.
- Most popular planned giving options:
- Will or Trust Bequest
- Gift Annuity
- Retirement Plan Assests
- P.O.D. Accounts & T.O.D. Accounts
- Life Insurance
Donors who make legacy gifts to the Greater Akron Music Association, Inc. (Akron Symphony Orchestra, Chorus & Youth Symphony) will become members of the Heritage Society and receive benefits including:
- Name recognition in the Symphony concert program books
- An invitation to the Annual Heritage Society reception
- A CD set/history book featuring the Akron Symphony Orchestra
Let us know when you have named the Akron Symphony in your will so we can recognize your generous gift. If you prefer to remain anonymous, your gift will be kept completely confidential. We appreciate your generosity, and we will honor your wishes.
For more information about the Akron Symphony’s deferred gift opportunities, contact Director of Advancement Peter Grossetti at 330-535-8131.
An Important Note: The official organization name that should be used in all formal correspondence regarding planned gifts to the Symphony is: The Greater Akron Musical Association Inc. dba the Akron Symphony Orchestra. The Greater Akron Musical Association (or GAMA) is the “umbrella” name for the Akron Symphony Orchestra, Akron Youth Symphony, Akron Youth Philharmonic and Akron Symphony Chorus.
Volunteering for the Greater Akron Musical Association and its Akron Symphony entities is a great way to get involved and do something meaningful to support arts and culture in the Akron community.
Akron Symphony Guild
Meet likeminded people with a passion for supporting the Akron Symphony when you join our volunteer group. Membership fees do apply.
From signature events like Fanfare, The Lakes, Crescendo and our Season Kickoff Celebration, to intimate events for friends, donors and professionals, we always need help planning events, setting up and assisting with a variety of activities during our events. Contact Joanne Green to inquire about current needs.
The Akron Symphony office staff can always use assistance with a variety of administrative and operational needs throughout the year. Contact Sharon Smith about current needs.
If you’re under the age of 45 and interested in getting others like you involved with the Akron Symphony in a meaningful way, contact us to discuss your interests and ideas.
Have an idea for how you can help?
Contact us and let us know what you’re interested in doing. We’ll find a way for you to get involved in a way that suits your interests and skills.
We are grateful to our lead 2016-2017 sponsors for their generous support. Sponsors enjoy special benefits and recognition including media exposure and opportunities for client and employee entertaining. All sponsorship packages are designed to maximize the company’s corporate objectives and marketing strategies. Sponsorship packages for individuals or families are also available and customized. For more information about becoming a sponsor, contact Executive Director, Paul Jarrett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-535-8131.
Corporate, Foundation, & Government Support
We thank these corporations, foundations, and government entities for providing financial support during the last 12 months.
- Akron Community Foundation
- City of Akron
- Gar Foundation
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
$35,000 - $49,999
- Ohio Arts Council
$10,000 - $34,999
- Ernst & Young Foundation
- The Howard Atwood Family Fund
- FirstEnergy Foundation
- John McAlonan Fund
- KeyBank Foundation
- Landon & Cynthia Knight Foundation
- Mary and Dr. George L. Demetros Charitable Trust, First Merit Trust Company, Trustee
- Medina City Schools Foundation
- The Margaret Clark Morgan Foundation
- The Mary S. and David C. Corbin Foundation
- The Sisler McFawn Foundation
- The University of Akron
$6,000 - $9,999
- FirstMerit Foundation
- Kenneth L. Calhoun Charitable Trust
- Lloyd L. & Louise K. Smith Foundation
$3,000 - $5,999
- Akron General Medical Center
- Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation
- Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
- Charles E. and Mable M. Ritchie Memorial Foundation
- Jean C. Schroeder Foundation
- Kulas Foundation
- Lehner Family Foundation
- OMNOVA Solutions Foundation
- Summa Health System
- Welty Family Foundation
- West Akron Kiwanis
$1,500 - $2,999
- Akron-Canton Airport
- Albrecht Family Foundation
- ChemSpec, Ltd.
- The Harry K. and Emma R. Fox Charitable Foundation
- Hudson Community Foundation
- The R.C. and Katharine Musson Charitable Foundation
- M.G. O'Neil Foundation
- Acro Tool & Die Co., Inc.
- Akrochem Corporation
- The Banks-Baldwin Foundation
- Howland Memorial Fund
- Laura R. and Lucian Q. Moffit Foundation
- W. Paul Mills and Thora J. Mills Memorial Foundation
- Eagle Elastomer, Inc.
- Ewart-Ohlson Machine Company
- Vernon L. Odom Fund
- Alttran Inc.
- Bernlohr Niekamp & Weisensell, LLP
- Cohen & Company, Ltd.
- Gavin Scott Salon & Spa
- Hudson Extrusions, Inc.
- Marco Products, Inc.
- Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations
- Educational Equipment Corp.
- Hitchcock Fleming & Associates
- Peters, Tschantz & Associates, Inc.
- Premier Bank & Trust
- Stratos Wealth Partners
- Struktol Company of America
- The Maynard Family Foundation