Akron Youth Symphony
About the Akron Youth Symphony
The Akron Youth Symphony is one of the finest youth orchestras in Ohio and is the flagship ensemble of the Akron Youth Orchestra program. The Akron Youth Symphony provides an outstanding pre-professional educational experience for advanced music students.
The Youth Symphony is geared toward high school students, but is open to all qualified middle and high school students. Members generally range from ages 13 to 18 and represent numerous schools, cities and counties in Northeastern Ohio. Musicians include homeschooled students, as well as those who attend public, private and parochial schools. All members participate in their respective school ensembles, and also take private music instruction.
Musicians rehearse weekly under professional direction and receive regular coaching from Akron Symphony Orchestra musicians. Youth Symphony members also may have other opportunities available to them, including the annual concerto competition, chamber music groups and master classes.
The Akron Youth Symphony gives back to the community by performing at special events and mentoring our sister organization, Akron Youth Philharmonic, in Side-By-Side concerts. The most valuable part of the experience is the process of high-caliber concerts in a supportive and energized environment.
The season runs from August through May, with Sunday afternoon rehearsals. The Youth Symphony performs at least four full concerts each season, generally on Sunday afternoons, in addition to participating in other special events.
For more information
Contact Orzella Matherson at 330.535.8131.
Auditions are open to all middle school and high school instrumental music students who study privately, actively participate in their school music program, and are able to commit to the rehearsal and concert schedule. There may be limitations or exemptions to this policy. Auditions are heard by Akron Youth Symphony Music Director Eric Benjamin. Please note: These auditions are for the Akron Youth Symphony only. Students not accepted are eligible to audition in the Fall for the Akron Youth Philharmonic.
Auditions will be held on:
- May 17 from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Tallmadge High School, which is located at 140 Munroe Road in Tallmadge
- May 18 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Guzzetta Hall on the campus of The University of Akron
- May 20 from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Hudson Middle School, which is located at 77 North Oviatt Street in Hudson
- May 21 from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Firestone Community Learning Center, which is located at 470 Castle Boulevard
Auditions will be held for middle and high school students who play one of the following instruments. View the requirements and excerpts by clicking on the instrument name:
- Strings: violin, viola, cello, bass
- Woodwinds: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon
- Brass: French horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba
- Percussion: snare drum, mallets, timpani
- Others: harp, piano
- Written recommendations from your current private teacher and current school music director are not required, but are encouraged with your application.
- A non-refundable $25 audition fee must be submitted with the audition application.
- Auditions are private and not open to the public.
- No accompaniment, please.
- Copies of orchestral excerpts are available for your use. It is strongly recommended that you listen to recordings of the orchestral works while preparing the excerpts.
- Students not accepted to AYS may audition for the Akron Youth Philharmonic in September.
Once the audition application and fee are received, applicants will receive an email that will allow them to selection their audition time and date.
Application form, the $25 non-refundable application fee and the optional written recommendations are due by May 3. You may fill out the application and pay online (a handling fee applies) by following this link. If you prefer to submit a paper application, you may download the form below.